Courtesy of Coppin State Athletics
BALTIMORE – Baltimore native Brendan Medley-Bacon registered career-highs of 19 points and 14 rebounds to go with four blocks to lead the Coppin State men’s basketball team to a come-from-behind 79-75 MEAC victory over North Carolina A&T Saturday afternoon at PEC Arena.
Inside the Numbers
- Brendan Medley-Bacon notched a double-double with a career-high 19 points on 7-of-11 shooting while making 5-of-6 free throws. The 7-foot-1 center also pulled down a career-high 14 rebounds (six offensive) to go with four blocks and a pair of assists in a team-high 38 minutes of action.
- Medley-Bacon had 11 points and ten rebounds in the second half.
- Dejuan Clayton and Koby Thomas also recorded 18 points apiece while Andrew Robinson finished a rebound shy of a double-double with 11 points and nine rebounds.
- Clayton filled up the stat sheet, making 6-of-11 shots with four 3-pointers along with eight rebounds and seven assists. Thomas sunk 12-of-14 free throws to go with six rebounds.
- Ibn Williams came off the bench to give the Eagles eight points and two assists.
- The final stats were virtually even in numerous categories as North Carolina A&T barely outshot CSU, 36.8% to 36.4%. Both teams tallied 46 rebounds with Coppin edging the Aggies in the turnover battle, 15-14. Both teams shot well from the line as Coppin made 23-of-29 (79.3%) compared to 20-of-26 (76.9%) for A&T. Coppin made 15-of-17 from the stripe in the second half.
- CSU made eight 3-pointers to just five for the Aggies.
- North Carolina A&T got 21 points and 14 rebounds from Ronald Jackson and Devin Haygood added 17. Fred Cleveland was also in double figures with ten points while Kameron Langley dished out 11 assists.
How it Happened
- Battling for position for much of the first half, North Carolina A&T built a 35-24 lead with 3:49 to go following an 8-0 run.
- Coppin battled back to close out the period with three free throws from Koby Thomas and Andrew Robinson, followed by a pair of 3-pointers by Dejuan Clayton to pull within 35-34 with 36 seconds left.
- The Aggies made a pair of free throws in the final seconds to take a 37-34 halftime lead.
- A pair of free throws and layups by Thomas and Robinson to open the second gave Coppin back the lead and neither team led by more than four points for most of the second period.
- North Carolina A&T took its largest lead of the period at 72-68 with 3:35 remaining on a dunk by Ronald Jackson.
- Brendan Medley-Bacon answered with a jumper, and after an Aggies free throw, Clayton tied it at 73-73 with his fourth 3-pointer of the game with 1:53 to play.
- The visitors had three chances to regain the lead to no avail and Thomas made them pay with a pair of free throws with ticks left, giving CSU a 75-73 lead.
- Misses at the other end led to two more free throws each by Ibn Williams and Thomas to extend Coppin’s lead to 79-73 with 15 ticks remaining, sealing the win.
Up Next: Coppin is back in action on Saturday, January 25 when it hosts crosstown rival Morgan State in a 4 pm start”